A certificate study program for youth ministry volunteers and professionals
Do you have a talented leader with a heart for youth ministry? Does your part time youth worker want to take your youth ministry to the next level? Are you a rostered leader looking to minister more effectively with youth and their families?
What you get is adventure in the outdoor ministry setting, and skills in education, small groups, and community development. Classroom content provides Biblical and theological training, cultural analysis, long range planning, family ministry and other Christian education insights.
Youth Ministry Certification School
What you experience
The course is designed to help equip the applicant with a heart and desire to serve our Lord and the youth of the church with the tools and resources to build an integrated youth and family ministry in the congregational setting. Using accepted theoretical and practical youth ministry research and techniques, combined with a strong theological base, the candidate will learn from seminary professors and staff, as well as youth ministry practitioners who have been serving in a variety of ministry settings. Each candidate will create, in cooperation with the YMCS Director and coaches, a short-range plan for integrating youth and family ministry, that they can take back and apply to their own ministry setting.
Schedule for 2013-2014:
At Gettysburg Seminary
Sept 12-14, 2013
Oct 17-19, 2013
Nov 22-23, 2013
Dec 13-14, 2013
Feb 7-8, 2014
Mar 7-8, 2014
Apr 4-5, 2014
May 2-3, 2014
Schedule for 2012-2013:
First week at Camp Nawakwa, Arendtsville, PA near Gettysburg, August 16-19, 2012
Following weekends at Gettysburg Seminary
October 5-6, 2012
November 9-10, 2012
February 8-9, 2013
March 22-23, 2013
April 19-20, 2013
Getting Started, What you need, What it costs, etc.
Tuition and fees
- Students are expected to participate in all 14 days of the course to receive their certification
- Students are welcome to arrive the night before the scheduled course dates to stay on the Seminary campus
- A service with presentation of certificates is scheduled for the final weekend of the course for families, youth and congregational members of candidates
- Candidates must submit a YMCS Application, a written faith statement, a written vision for congregational youth ministry, three letters of reference, and submit to a child abuse background check, to gain entry into the course
- Students enrolled at the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg may take the course as an independent study for academic credit
- Scholarships are available upon request
Tuition for the course of study is $2,500 and includes all meals and lodging expenses. Scholarships are often available. We also encourage congregations to offer assistance to support applicants and will work with you to find other funding.
Application may be downloaded in pdf
or MS Word
Chelle Huth, Director of the Youth Ministry Certification School
Email: chuth@Ltsg.edu or tel. 717-338-3038
The Rev. Dr. Michelle Carlson, Director of Lifelong Learning Programs
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
Tel. 1-800MLUTHER ext 2231 or 717-334-6286 ext 2231