A.R. Wentz Library

The A.R. Wentz Library, serving the oldest of the eight seminaries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) traces its beginnings to the commissioning of Benjamin Kurtz by the Evangelical Lutheran General Synod (of the United States of North America) to go to Europe to solicit contributions of money and books for its new seminary located in Gettysburg. Originally located in the seminary’s main classroom and office building, the Wentz Library was built in 1947 when modern facilities were paramount to the growing seminary.